This week we talk about some new features that have been recently implemented by Linden Lab, we discuss new research that finds that virtual worlds can cause behavioral changes, we take a closer look at the role of art in Second Life, and more!
This week’s topics include:
- Enhanced Avatar Physics
- Gogo’s Physics Info and Free Layer
- Who created this version of Avatar Physics?
- Virtual Pregnancy and Legal Obligations
- New Marketplace Direct Delivery Beta Program
- New Second Life Sign-up Process
- Second Life Concurrency
- Crap’s Suggestions to Grow Second Life
- Botgirl’s Plan to Solve The Second Life Retention Problem
- Stanford Research Finds Virtual Worlds Can Cause Behavioral Changes
- Virtual Weight Loss
- New York Times Article on Avatars
- Responses to the NYT Article
- Linden Endowment for the Arts
- Month of Machinima
- AM Radio’s Art SIMs
- Role of Art in SL/Price of Culture
- Linden Lab to Support Second Life Art (But First They Have to Define It)
- Inventing the Future of Games at USC Santa Cruz
- Ray Kurzweil on The Colbert Report
William Reed Seal-Foss (Reed Steamroller) is a 3D artist and virtual world content creator for Sand Castle Studios, LLC.
Bernhard Drax (Draxtor Despres) is a musician, new media producer, and machinima journalist.
Karl Stiefvater (Qarl Fizz, formerly Qarl Linden) is visual effects artist, software developer, and interactive designer extraordinaire.