This week we welcome special guest John “Pathfinder” Lester as we take a look at the past and future of virtual worlds and he catches us up on what’s he’s been working on over at ReactionGrid.
This week’s topics include:
- John Lester’s history with virtual worlds
- The “epiphany moment”
- Casual games like Farmville
- “Cow Clicker”
- The Terminal Man
- Marketing Second Life
- Reaction Grid
- Hypergrid protocol
- Hypergrid Adventurers Club
- Does Opensim needs it’s own viewer?
- Kokua Imprudence Viewers: Where to Now?
- Digital Rights Management in virtual worlds
- The False Ideals of the Web
- Bismarck’s Voice Among Restored Edison Records
- How to find interesting things in virtual worlds
- Second Life’s original first user experience (the corral and Pony Linden)
- Pathfinder’s Jibe World
- Pathfinder’s Blog
- Reaction Grid
- Draxtor’s Cartoon Flip Cam Test
John “Pathfinder” Lester is an expert in the educational use of virtual worlds and 3d simulations. His background is in neuroscience research and medical education, and he previously worked at Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital creating online medical education and patient support communities while exploring the underlying neuroscience behind how people communicate and collaborate effectively. From 2005-2010, John worked at Linden Lab, where he led the development of the education and healthcare markets while evangelizing the innovative use of virtual worlds in research, training and distance education. John is currently the Chief Learning Officer at ReactionGrid Inc., helping clients develop new systems for immersive learning using web and mobile-based virtual world platforms.
William Reed Seal-Foss (Reed Steamroller) is a 3D artist and virtual world content creator for Sand Castle Studios, LLC.
Bernhard Drax (Draxtor Despres) is a musician, new media producer, and machinima journalist.
Karl Stiefvater (Qarl Fizz, formerly Qarl Linden) is visual effects artist, software developer, and interactive designer extraordinaire.
Thank you to our sponsor, Pretty Feet!